Last updated on August 20th, 2022 at 09:19 am
Happy Earth Day! I thought bringing to attention today the vast amount of unnecessary plastic we use on a daily basis was a good way to start Earth Day. That wasted plastic could be eliminated from your daily life with one small item. A reusable water bottle. I know I know you’ve heard it all 1,000 times but really – in the grand scheme, it’s one small thing you can do to help our environment while drinking out of something that won’t leech chemicals into your water. From Earth911.com:
- Americans buy an estimated 28 billion plastic water bottles every year.
- Nearly 8 out of every 10 bottles will end up in a landfill.
- In 2006, it took more than 17 million barrels of oil (excluding the oil used in transporting the plastic) to produce plastic bottles.
- The manufacturing process of creating bottled water created more than 2.5 million tons of carbon dioxide.
- Only 13 percent of water bottles are recycled.
Reusing your water bottle can really make a huge difference. Besides, think of the money you’ll save! Everyone keeps saying “In this economy…” and those people probably go out and buy flats of bottled water. Buying ONE reusable bottle can save you hundreds of dollars a year while saving the environment from unnecessary plastic and damaging resources.
That means the kids too! Now that we’re past “sippy cup” stage (well at least for my first one) we’re into the kids size Klean Kanteen for our daily water use. Klean Kanteen is made of stainless steel and comes with various fitting tops including a sippy spout (which is actually an Avent sippy spout which you can buy replacements for, all made of BPA/PVC/Phthalate Free plastic). It fits in most cup holders, doesn’t leak and looks pretty stylish. You can also use a sports top with it for older kids who are over the sippy spout.
Subscribe to Dear SafeMama.