Safer Options: Jack n’ Jill Natural Toothpaste

Filed Under Product Safety

I get a lot of questions about my “favorite” toothpaste for kids.  I used to use a few different brands but never really had a perfect solution.  Recently Jack n’ Jill sent me some samples of their Natural Toothpastes and I fell head over heels in love with this brand.  I’ll tell you about the technical reasons I love Jack N Jill Toothpaste…

• Made with organic ingredients
  • Fluoride Free (xylitol instead)
  • Sugar Free
  • Color Free
  • SLS Free
  • No Preservatives
  • BPA free recyclable packaging
  • A 0 rating in the EWG Skin Deep database

jacknjill

So this seems to be enough of a reason to like it right? But then I tested it out on my kids.  No matter how safe a toothpaste is, if your kids won’t use it, there’s no point.  Jack n Jill sent us 3 flavours to try along with their compostable and biodegradable (handle) toothbrushes which are made with Non-GMO corn starch.  We testing the Certified Organic Banana toothpaste, the Natural Calendula Strawberry and the Certified Organic Raspberry.   Each toothpaste looks like a clear gel so no more messy blue paste in the sink, and my kids loved the flavours! My youngest liked the Natural Calendula Strawberry the best and he keeps that in his bathroom drawer for himself (little hoarder). I feel great having found a toothpaste for the kids without any unsafe chemicals that works and tastes great.

Buy Some: Another great perk is that it’s available in the US, the UK and Australia through their online store.  A SafeMama thumbs up!

Posted by: SafeMama Kathy on May 1, 2013

Comments

10 Responses to “Safer Options: Jack n’ Jill Natural Toothpaste”

1. Tana on May 1st, 2013 4:54 pm

buying now! YEAH!

2. Nacee on May 1st, 2013 5:09 pm

Yes finally a product i can get in Europe

3. Dacia on May 2nd, 2013 3:55 pm

This sounds great but is it more expensive than regular toothpaste?

4. Monica on May 2nd, 2013 4:05 pm

We have been using them for about a year now when I stumbled upon their website. My two boys LOVE it! So happy there is finally a USA website:) They love getting the tubes in their stockings, Easter baskets, etc!!

5. SafeMama Kathy on May 5th, 2013 10:36 am

Not really, no. Compared to other natural toothpastes it’s comparable.

6. Julia on May 5th, 2013 9:34 pm

Hi Kathy,

I’ve been reading about using xylitol in kid’s toothpastes and there seems to be some conflicting opinions, with some sources saying it’s produced in a way that’s potentially unsafe (hydrogenated sugar?)… Have you looked into that? What do you think? http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/xylitol-not-as-sweet-as-its-cracked-up-to-be/

7. Lisa P on May 5th, 2013 10:38 pm

Any comparison feedback to Tom’s of Maine?

8. Ruth on May 11th, 2013 10:05 am

Unfortunately seeing the same conflicting views re xylitol….sounds pretty awful actually –

9. Candice on May 25th, 2013 8:01 pm

The best source for assessing the safety of any personal care product is through the Environmental Working Group’s Cosmetics Database. I searched here for xylitol as an ingredient and it scores a 0, meaning it poses no health hazard.

The Jack n’ Jill toothpaste is also rated a 0. This is a great resource when searching for safe, quality, non-toxic products.

10. Michael on May 27th, 2013 11:05 pm

It seems as thoug jack n Jill has gotten the best rating but I didn’t recognize what calendula was and when I googled it all of those other uses came up and it leaves me wondering why it would be put in toothpaste…