I’ve gotten a couple of emails from parents asking about BPA Free pacifiers and teethers. With all the news surrounding Bisphenol-a (BPA) in bottles and sippy cups, parents are now wondering what else they might need to modify in their babies routine to avoid those plastics. Once a parent learns about potential hazards its tough to know what to buy and what to avoid. I’ve said myself more than once “Can’t someone just tell me what to buy?“.. and I am pretty sure I am not the only busy parent who’s uttered that phrase. Not a comprehensive list.

IMPORTANT: Please do not copy/paste this material on other websites without prior written consent. This page is constantly being updated so republishing it could mean you are distributing inaccurate information.  Copying and/or republishing this list or any written material from this website is also a violation of our Terms and Conditions.

Last Updated: February 21, 2012

BPA, PVC & Phthalate Free Pacifiers*

• BornFree: BPA-Free Pacifier for Day and Night Use, Clear Button Pacifier, Clear Pacifier, CoolFlow Pacifier
  • Playtex: Playtex “Binky” (one piece silicone pacifier), Binky Most Like Mother Latex Pacifier, Binky Most Like Mother Silicone Pacifier, Binky Angled Pacifier, Ortho-Pro Pacifier
  • Gerber: NUK Original, NUK Classic Silicon & Latex, NUK Nautical NUK Genius Silicone, Orthodontic Trendline Pacifier,  Orthodontic Pacifier Rose & Blue Silicone  Latex, Wildlife Pacifier, Animal Face Pacifier, Nature Pacifer, EZ-to-Hook TM Pacifier Carry Case
  • The First Years: Soothies Silicone Paci’s, Safe Comfort, Ultra Kip
  • Vice Versa Binky w/ Case
  • Natursutten Natural Rubber Pacifiers
  • EcoPiggy Natural Rubber Pacifiers
  • Evenflo: Mimi Soft Touch, Mimi Premium, Mimi Neo One-Piece, Vizion, Fuzion and Illuzion
  • Happy Baby Soothers
  • NurturePure™ Pure™ Orthodontic Silicone Pacifier & Teether
  • Sassy Mini MAM, MAM (only with packaging labeled BPA FREE)
  • Avent PES Pacifiers (marked BPA Free)Nighttime, Fashion, Freeflow, Bear, Translucent

BPA, PVC & Phthalate Free Teethers*

• Please also check out The Soft Landing Blog for a great list of BPA Free products.
  • Cross check your items with The Zrecs Guide to see what harmful chemicals are/aren’t in them.

*This is not a comprehensive list, it just contains the BPA, PVC & Phthalate Free products I am aware of. If there is a product not on here, it does not mean it’s not safe. Inquire with the toy maker about materials used if you are unsure. If there is a product that is not listed here that SHOULD be, please let me know and I will be thrilled to add it.

What is Bisphenol A?

Bisphenol A is a hormone-mimicking chemical used in polycarbonate plastics and resins commonly used for items such as shatterproof baby bottles. Bisphenol has estrogenic properties which, in animal tests has shown to cause a bevy of health problems such as an increase in prostate and breast cancer, uro-genital abnormalities in male babies, a decline in semen quality in men, early onset of puberty in girls, metabolic disorders including insulin-resistant (Type 2) diabetes and obesity and neurobehavioral problems such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Research is showing that when plastic containers, mostly those used to hold liquids and foods, are leeching Bisphenol into the foods and liquids they are holding. Heating food and liquids with these plastics is shown to increase the leeching of this contaminate.

Many companies use this chemical in their packaging including cans, soda cans, and plastic food containers. There is a risk of absorbing this chemical through the use of containing foods and liquids but can also leech into our water systems through landfills.

Many leading experts argue that the use of Bisphenol is safe to the human public but research may begin to further prove otherwise.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

“Bisphenol A has been known to leach from the plastic lining of canned foods and, to a lesser degree, polycarbonate plastics that are cleaned with harsh detergents or used to contain acidic or high-temperature liquids.[16] Infants fed with liquid infant formula have among the highest exposures of anyone eating canned foods. Infants fed canned formula with polycarbonate bottles can consume quantities of Bisphenol A up to 13 µg/kg/day.”

Posted by: SafeMama Kathy on January 4, 2008

Comments

20 Responses to “BPA Free Pacifiers and Teethers Cheat Sheet”

1. Tammy on January 11th, 2008 4:37 am

Can you also mention which ones are also free of pthalates too?

Thanks!

2. Kirstin's View on January 12th, 2008 8:29 pm

It seems like there is a new product recall everyday. I am especially concerned about all the recalls on children’s toys and household products. I set up a personal file that alerts me to all product recalls and it sends me a timely notice when one of my products has been recalled.

3. sk-rt.com on January 17th, 2008 1:54 am

BPA Free Teethers & Pacifiers…

A great quick reference of BPA free teethers and pacifiers….

4. emom on January 23rd, 2008 8:28 pm

My child is rather attached to the translucent Avent pacifier with BPA-containing shield. Is it reasonable to assume Avent’s pacifiers with OPAQUE shields (Bear or Fashion model) lack BPA? Avent is not responding to my q.

5. Kathy on January 23rd, 2008 9:56 pm

I don’t think all plastic with BPA in it is clear so it’s probably not safe to assume that. You would need to confirm that the pacifier shield is not made of polycarbonate plastic in order to make that call. From what I have read, all the Avent shields are made of polycarbonate plastic. I could be wrong however so if you find out otherwise I’d love to know.

6. Bisphenol-A (BPA) Free Sippy Cups, Pacifers, Teethers and other Baby Gear– at Children’s Health Blog on February 6th, 2008 3:19 pm

[…] Mama has a helpful (and brief- good for us sleep deprived parents!) list of safe, non-toxic teethers and pacifiers. If you must buy plastic, these are some solid BPA free […]

7. Jacquie on February 6th, 2008 7:55 pm

I called Playtex today to inquire about the Binky pacifiers. I am unable to find any in Toronto…they informed me that they are discontinued in Canada. I asked if the Ortho Pro pacifiers were BPA free and they confirmed that they are. Have you heard anything different about these type of pacifiers?
    Thx

8. Lindsay on February 11th, 2008 6:14 pm

I was curious about some of the Bright Starts (by Kids II) products that my 5 month old daughter uses, specifically, the Chill & Teethe tubes, License To Drool keys and the Rattle & Spin teethers. This is the email response I received. I’m not familiar with EVA, but isn’t anything containing “vinyl” bad? She explains that the toys are phthalate free…

Hello Lindsay,

Thank you for contacting Kids II about our products.

The plastic used for our clear teethers is called; EVA = Ethylene Vinyl Acetate and our teethers are filled with sterilized water.

All of our teething products are phthalate; PVC, BPA and Latex free.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Angela

9. Delina on February 12th, 2008 6:57 pm

I called Playtex about pacifiers and was told all their shields are made from polypropeline (sp?) which is a #5 plastic.

10. CW on March 26th, 2008 1:26 am

I was surprised to learn pacifiers contain arsenic! It’s impossible to live chemical free!

11. Jaime Hudson on March 27th, 2008 8:06 pm

There is a wooden teether made by Camden Rose. It is made from maple wood and sealed with beeswax and made in the USA :) My 4 month old son loves it.

12. Michelle on March 30th, 2008 5:59 am

I know you list the Gerber Nuk pacifier as BPA free, but does that include the NUK orthodontic? And which are the fashion colors? I’ve never seen any labeled like that. I just picked up a package of silicone Nuk orthodontic ones with pink flowers and green fireflies…
    Thanks!

13. Jenny on April 15th, 2008 4:41 am

are the MAM soothers/dummies BPA free??? I can’t find any info on them!
    Thanks!!!

14. Lindsay on April 17th, 2008 10:47 am

It would be helpful to include pictures or links to these products, since it is hard to remember what the product is called once I have taken it out of the packaging. Thanks for this valuable info!

15. Kathy on April 17th, 2008 11:34 am

@Jenny: The MAM Pacis sheilds are made with PC plastic. So, no.

@Lindsay: Yes it would, but I just don’t have the time to do that. I’ll take volunteers!

@Michelle: Only the ones listed above are confirmed as BPA Free. Some of the fashion ones are but not all so it’s been left off the list completely to avoid confusion.

16. megan on April 17th, 2008 5:46 pm

so are all mams unsafe?

17. Stefanie on April 17th, 2008 6:18 pm

I am interested in the info about which if any MAM paci’s are safe too! =)

18. megan on April 17th, 2008 6:52 pm

Stephanie,
    So far I have not found any that are safe. I have been researching from this board and the soft landing one and it looks like i will be switching to another paci.

19. Kathy on April 19th, 2008 10:56 pm

Comments are now closed on this entry. The discussion is no longer contributing to the original subject matter and we feel it’s best to eliminate any further confusion. We do appreciate your comments so please feel free to browse the site for answers or email us with your questions.

A more structured Frequently Asked Questions will appear on the site soon for your convenience.

20. pligg.com on April 24th, 2008 3:14 pm

BPA Free Pacifiers and Teethers Cheat Sheet : Safe Mama | One-stop child safety, product recall, health and well-being r…

Lists of BPA free bottles, pacifiers, as well as teethers for infants. Along with some information on BPA….