Last updated on August 19th, 2022 at 10:27 pm
This morning I whipped up some DIY Lavender and Orange hand soap in less than 30 seconds, and here’s how to do it. My green friends will all agree that making your own home cleaning products is a cinch. It’s just a matter of having a few items on hand. There are literally thousands of uses for homemade cleaners and self-care items. Plus, it’s a worthy investment for those on any kind of budget because a little will go a long way. Instead of buying expensive hand soaps (that may or may not contain chemicals or contaminants), you can easily whip up your own. Picture spending $6 on a hand soap at Whole Foods, and then picture spending about that same amount of money on a few key ingredients that will keep your hand soap dispenser filled for months on end.
Ingredients You Will Need To Make Natural Liquid Soap
- Liquid Castille Soap. For this, I used Dr. Bronner’s Lavender Pure-Castille Soap which you can buy at Target, Whole Foods, health stores, or online. Target carries tiny 1-ounce bottles, or you can purchase the bigger bottles (I recommend getting the Unscented Castille Soap if you go that route).
- Essential Oil – You will also need Sweet Orange essential oil for this particular recipe, but just about any essential oil will do, especially if you are using unscented Castille soap…. just think of the possible scents you can concoct. You can pick up essential oils at health food stores and online. What’s great is a few drops go a long way so it lasts forever and has many many uses. Other oils I keep handy for DIY recipes include Clary Sage and Tea Tree (which have antiseptic and antibacterial qualities), and Lavender.
- Water – distilled water seems to be best for this kind of thing, but I just use filtered water because, hello, I have two kids, I don’t have time to distill water, and I would rather not buy it and waste more packaging. I’m just washing my hands, not performing surgery.
- Foamer Pump – You can easily re-purpose foamer pumps from old hand soaps, or you can buy them. I haven’t had a foamer soap in my house in a long time (I said goodbye to dial ages ago), so I bought a glass dispenser from Amazon .
DIY Lavender Orange Hand Soap Recipe
- 6 ounces water
- 1 Tsp – Tablespoon Lavender Castille Soap (you can adjust this amount to how much soapiness you prefer)
- 8-10 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- Shake gently, the end. (You’ll want to give the bottle a brief shake before each use to remix the oils evenly)
This is gentle on the skin and smells really fresh. I keep this near the sink in the kitchen… I like orange and citrus scents in the kitchen which is great after handling fragrant food like garlic or onions. It’s super gentle too, which is key for those of us washing our hands all day long. Between diaper changes, nose wiping, and cooking, I wash my hands 57 times a day. Hi, sandpaper hands.
This is just one of a zillion possible combinations that can be achieved. Earth friendly, bio-gradable, chemical-free, gentle, and safe for everyone. Happy Sunday, everyone 🙂