Last updated on February 8th, 2016 at 04:48 pm
Our Go Green, Get Fit Challenge, presented by PlanetShoes.com and 30 Green Bloggers, including myself, began on Monday and I have been so busy (working) kicking some serious fitness butt to blog about it. I have 2 things to share with you about the previous few days. On Sunday I completed my first Triathlon event! It was a “Super Sprint” distance which included a 1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike and a 2 mile run. I am so pleased to say that all my hard work has paid off and I finished it in under an hour which was my goal. But most of all, I had an absolute blast doing the event and doing it with my good friends. They all rocked it. But since the GGGF Challenge didn’t start until the next day, I decided to take the week head on and get right back to it.
One of the things that bothers me about races and events is their lack of consideration for the environment. There are waxed paper cups everywhere and the waste generated by the swag bags is atrocious. It’s tough for races to be totally eco-friendly but I think they need to start trying harder. For now, I think refusing the swag bags is a start (really I don’t need all that paper and a bag I’ll never use). And for longer races I started carrying my own water bottle in my palm so I don’t need to waste the paper cups filled with too strong Powerade. There has to be a better way.
The other thing I wanted to share was about skin care and fitness. In the summer, running in the heat can present some chafing issues – for me it’s on my rib cage where my arm rubs. I have found a great way to help heal that with the use of something safe and natural rather than slathering on chemicals and petroleum. Earth Mama Angel Baby’s Bottom Balm is the perfect solution. It soothes and protects while the chafing heals so you’re ready to go another day of sweat and heat. In a desperate moment I reached for my son’s Bottom Balm and lo and behold, it healed up rather quickly. It’s really multi-purpose! I now keep a jar of it in the little guy’s room and one in my bathroom for post shower chafing rescue. Every athlete should have some handy.
I am getting ready to do a little traveling with the family to the beaches of Delaware… we’ll be bringing our road bikes and running shoes to continue our training. I have a longer distance triathlon in August and my husband is going to do an Ironman the same month. So we’ll be sweatin’. I will post once a week to talk about green fitness products and how the training is going. Next week I want to discuss sunscreen because natural sunscreen and work outs are giving me grief!
You don’t have to be extreme and train for a marathon to be fit – you just need to get out there and do something healthy for yourself, whatever it is. The Go Green Get Fit Challenge is going to be a ton of fun so join in, follow along and check us out on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter! Also take a look at the amazing ladies involved in our fitness challenge:
- Erin Naumowicz Editor, Healthy Home Magazine
- Kimberly Danek Pinkson Founder, EcoMom® Alliance
- Shane D. Shirley-Smith, Editor, Environmental Booty
- Paige Wolf Author Spit That Out
- Tiffany Washko Editor, NatureMoms
- Diane MacEachern Editor, Big Green Purse
- April Gatewood Owner and Writer, Mama on a Green Mission
- Robbie Schneider Editor, Going Green Mama
- Amanda Hearn Owner and Editor, The Eco-Friendly Family
- Sabrina (Bri) Radke Owner and Writer, Eco Baby Mama Drama
- Jenn Savedge Author and Blogger, The Green Parent and Mother Nature Network
- Brenna Burke Owner and Editor, Almost All The Truth
- Gretchen Sowers Owner and Writer, Healthful Mama
- Sarah White Owner and Writer, Mindfully Frugal Mom
- Nikki Board Founder and Editor, Modern Eco Life
- Erin Ely Owner and Editor, Ely Organics
- Katy Farber Owner and Author, Non-Toxic Kids
- Jen McLaughlin Blogger, Jen and Joey Go Green
- Penelope Jagessar Chaffer Blogger, Toxic Baby Blog
- Lori Popkewitz Alper Founder, Groovy Green Livin
- Jenny Gullen Owner and Editor, The Crunchy Wife
- Anna Hackman Editor, Green Talk
- Lynn Colwell Blogger, Celebrate Green
- Amity Hook-Sopko Editor, Green Child Magazine
- Laura Burns, Pug in the Kitchen
- Danika Carter, Beauty Editor, Greenwala.com
- Micaela Preston, Editor and Founder, Mindful Momma
- Stephanie Moram, Founder and Editor, Good Girl Gone Green
- And of course, me 🙂 SafeMama.com
Subscribe to Dear SafeMama.