Last updated on January 20th, 2009 at 01:45 pm
(Updated 1-20-09) Just a heads up to our fellow SafeParents regarding the recent slew of recalls and announcements regarding a Salmonella Typhimurium outbreak in the U.S. Some of you may have heard it already but this was relatively new news to me so I thought I’d share just in case.
Sample results from a plant owned by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) located in Georgia have been targeted as one source of the contamination. The plant manufactures peanut butter and peanut paste, a concentrated product consisting of ground, roasted peanuts.. many of which are sold to other companies for use as ingredients in other products. The products they think are affected were manufactured after July 1, 2008.
“Because identification of products subject to recall is continuing, the FDA urges consumers to postpone eating commercially-prepared or manufactured peanut butter-containing products and institutionally-served peanut butter until further information becomes available about which products may be affected. Efforts to specifically identify those products are ongoing.”
So far the list of companies recalling their peanut butter products are:
- King Nut Companies
- Hy-Vee Inc. : Peanut Butter Cookies, Monster Cookies, Peanut Butter Reese’s Pieces Cookies, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, Lunchbox Reese’s Pieces Cookies, Lunchbox Peanut Butter Cookies, People Chow Party Mix and Assorted Truffle Fudge.
- Kellogg Company: Including some Austin® Quality Foods, Keebler®and Famous Amos®
- Perry’s Ice Cream Company: Includes some Wegmans
- McKee Foods Corporation: (Little Debbie)
- Ralcorp Frozen Bakery Products, Inc (Walmart Brands)
- The South Bend Chocolate Company
- Cliff Bar
- Abbott Nutrition includeing ZonePerfect and Nutirpals
- Kroger Ice Cream
To keep watch on the list of companies and products recalled in this case visit the FDA Website for updated information.
Subscribe to Dear SafeMama.