I ran across this report from FOX News called Greening Your Baby from Head to Toe. Dr. Benjamin Kligler, a board certified family practitioner and director of research at the Continuum Center for Health and Healing in New York City and Pediatrician and author Alan Greene share their thoughts on what’s the most important steps in changing your lifestyle for that new baby.
I know as well as many parents, that it can be nearly impossible to have a totally “green” lifestyle but when it comes to our kids, we try our best to protect them. In this article they provide tips on what to start with and what not to stress too hard over, like diapers. Interesting excerpt:
Here’s a list of his Top 5 essential organic foods:
1. If you’re going to eat beef, make sure it’s organic to avoid all the growth hormones.
2. Organic milk is also a must because of the pesticide and antibiotic use. Some studies have also found organic milk has more antioxidants and healthier fats compared to regular milk.
3. Organic potatoes. Regular potatoes have the highest average amount of pesticides of any produce item — even after peeled and washed, noted Greene.
4. An apple a day — but, only if it’s all-natural. Apple trees are often sprayed with organophosphate pesticides which are actually nerve agents used to kill insects. Exposure to this agent can alter brain function and kids are the most susceptible.
5. Soy also falls under this category. Most of the soy crop planted in the United States is genetically modified (87 percent). So it’s a good idea to always buy organic soy.
Dr. Klinger and Dr. Greene also chime in on Bisphenol-A in baby bottles and sippy cups.
“I do suggest using a bottle that is bisphenol-A (BPA) free, ” said Greene. “Studies in animals have found it’s very clear that BPA is an endocrine disrupter.”
Subscribe to Dear SafeMama.