Last year when I found out I was pregnant one of the many questions that I was asked was whether I would breast or bottle feed my son. At that time melamine had not been found in infant formula in China but it had been found in dog food in the USA so I was concerned. I decided to contact several manufacturing companies but most of them would not release the origin of ingredients. After that discovery I decided that I wanted to breastfeed (but I still had to supplement with some formula). It took me a long time to get the hang of it and I can tell you from my experience that if I had not had a breast pump I would not have been able to continue breast feeding my son. Here is some information for those of you that are looking for a breast pump.
If you have any questions about any of these products, please contact the companies directly. Everyone that I spoke with or received an email from was very nice and was willing to answer any questions.
These companies use the abbreviation DEHP for phthalates.
- Medela-The company states that “all Medela products and components that come into contact with breastmilk are made with polypropylene plastic and have always been BPA and DEHP-free”.-I’ve personally used 2 Medela products (an electric and hand pump) and found them easy to use and they have great customer service that can assist with questions. (SafeMama Favorite!)
- Bailey Medical Deluxe Nurture III Double Electric Pump & Basic Nurture III Breast Pump- Are BPA and DEHP free.
- Ameda (Evenflo)-They have been BPA free and DEHP Free since April 08. Look for the P at the end of the model # to make sure.
- Dr. Brown’s-Currently has BPA in the connector piece (and yes that comes in contact with breast milk) and the pump comes with polycarbonate bottles. Currently they are DEHP free. They said they will be coming out with a new version soon that is BPA free.
BPA/Phthalate Free Breast Pumps Coming Soon:
- Philips Avent – BPA free model coming out soon. Currently there is BPA in the funnel.
- Playtex – BPA free model coming out at end of 08 and notification will be on package.
- Lansinoh– “Our BPA-Free version of the Double Electric Breast Pump should be available in most major retailers by the beginning of the new year (Babies R Us, Wal-Mart, Target). It will run the same price.” -Thank you Marisa for sending us this info!