WordPress database error: [Got error 28 from storage engine]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag', 'post_format') AND tr.object_id IN (825) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Safer Deodorant Cheat Sheet | Lovely SafeMama™

Safer Deodorant Cheat Sheet

Pin It!

I’m admitting, right here and right now, that I do not make my own deodorant.  Statia does, and her and her husband use it often.  But I have not gone down that road personally.  I have had success using several brands of natural deodorants and with some time and patience, I do not need to rely on a stick of Dove for security.  In fact the last time I did, I smelled within a few hours.  Not sure why, but that was the last time I used a traditional deodorant.

I will also admit that not every natural deodorant works for me, and that’s not because the product doesn’t work or is faulty.  But sometimes, certain recipes don’t mesh with your body chemistry.  You have to find what works best for YOU.

In order for me to consider a deodorant safe, it must be free of the following ingredients:

Aluminum:  Research is suggesting that aluminum may be linked to Alzheimer’s Disease  and some aluminum ingredients may be hormone disruptors to boot. Propylene Glycol, Parabens, Phthalates, Triclosan (believe it or not some “deodorants claiming they are natural contain Triclosan) and all the other usual suspects that I scan for in approved products.  This list is in alphabetical order and is not comprehensive so if you know a brand you think belongs here, let me know and I’ll verify it and add it to the list.

Best In Show

Runner Up’s (Better but not great)

• Jason Natural Cosmetics Deodorant – This works well as a deodorant but the first ingredient listed is Propylene Glycol.  I have used this as my safety net deodorant when I needed extra protection but my armpits started peeling recently so I have since stopped using it.
  • Tom’s of Maine Natural Deodorant – Same deal.  Uses Propylene Glycol as their main ingredient.  My parents both use this with great success but I had a not effective relationship with it myself and never went back.
  • Kiss My Face Active Enzyme Deodorant – Not chemical free and contains Phenoxyethanol.
  • Earth Science Natural Deodorant – Not chemical free and main ingredient is Propylene Glycol.

I’ve chosen not to list crystal deodorant stones and sprays because of the possible unintentional aluminum content.  To read more about that please visit Stephanie Greenwood’s blog for more information.  If you disagree, that’s fine. I’m sure I’ll get some crap about not including it but…tough noogies.

DIY: If you’re into making things yourself, please check out our recipe for natural deodorant!

Posted by Permalink •
Categories: Uncategorized

Comments

19 Responses to “Safer Deodorant Cheat Sheet”

1. Kristie Turck on August 20th, 2010 11:59 am

I was just thinking this morning that I need to try some different brands. The one I had been using Alba Organics was not working for me. I think I am going to give the Wedela a try. Thanks.

2. Kathy on August 20th, 2010 12:02 pm

@Kristie: I’ve had great success with the Weleda. I’d recommend starting with the travel size before you invest in a full size one in case it doesn’t work out.

3. StacyR on August 20th, 2010 12:12 pm

Bubble and Bee Pit Putty is the BEST!!! Plus, Stephanie will work with you to find something that works! She is awesome and so is her stuff! Can you tell I am a big fan! :)

4. Soapwalla Chef on August 20th, 2010 12:13 pm

Kathy, Thanks so much for including Soapwalla among these fine choices!

5. Kathy on August 20th, 2010 12:14 pm

@StacyR – We’re a big fan of Bubble & Bee too! The Geranium Lime Pit Putty is in my deodorant arsenal.

6. Shannon on August 20th, 2010 12:30 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Soapwalla deodorant. I have always wanted to try the Bubble and Bee pit putty as I love their products so much I could eat them (only half joking here).

7. Kristie Turck on August 20th, 2010 1:01 pm

I just typed “pit putty” into the amazon search bar, and the results made me laugh!

8. Blythe on August 20th, 2010 3:12 pm

Real Purity’s deodorant is beyond great. Works well and is all natural. I’ve been through lots of natural deodorants, some listed above, and this works best for me.

9. Kathy on August 20th, 2010 6:09 pm

@Blythe: Thanks! That looks great!

10. Holly Petrie on August 20th, 2010 7:04 pm

NYS Organic Deodorant and for the month of August it’s only $7.50 with a $60 purchase!

11. Stephanie Thomas on August 21st, 2010 9:18 am

I’m another fan of Bubble and Bee. I love Geranium Lime Pit Putty and used it for a while then when the Houston hot and humid summer hit last year my body personally needed more help Stephanie suggested I switch to a special blend of Spearmint and Tea Tee (with arrowroot and baking soda and coconut and palm oil) – worked great even down here! I just switched to Super Lemon and Clove and love that too. Bubble and Bee is my favorite natural website and I’ve used the pit putty exclusively for a long time.

12. Tiffany@MommyGoesGreen on August 21st, 2010 1:04 pm

I have Bubble and Bee and use it occasionally. The one thing I don’t love is that it is a little crumbly and pasty, it doesn’t go on very smoothly. For the summer, that hasn’t been the best option because I wear tank tops all the time. I’m sure I’ll use it more this winter when I’m not baring my arm pits as much! Great list, I think I’ll pick up one or two other brands on your list!

13. Kathy on August 21st, 2010 1:41 pm

@Tiffany: It is crumbly but I have found that it gets better with regular use. I try to mold it a bit with my fingers to keep it together and smear in the remaining deodorant. For tank tops I use either Soapwalla (not white at all) or the Weleda spray. Bubble & Bee has a spray version too you can try out.

14. Victoria (Mommy Is Green) on August 23rd, 2010 7:20 am

I’ve started using the Weleda Citrus Deodorant and so far so good. To absorb some of my sweat I add a little Yoreganics Natural Deodorizer after a few minutes. I also use the Yoreganics alone sometimes as a dry deodorant. I’d love to try the Soapwalla Deodorant Cream too! I’m all about trying new stuff lately.

15. Kathy on August 23rd, 2010 7:30 am

@Victoria: You inspired this cheat sheet btw :) I forgot about Yoreganics! I’ll add them to the list.

16. Victoria (Mommy Is Green) on August 23rd, 2010 8:08 am

Kathy, that’s so nice of you to say! This cheat sheet is very helpful and a great reference (as are all of your cheat sheets. :)

17. Kristie Turck on September 4th, 2010 11:54 am

I ended up ordering the Soapwalla Deodorant Cream and love it! It works! Thanks for the article.

18. Heather on October 25th, 2010 2:59 pm

I love Bubble and Bee’s pit putty, too. It’s fantastic–the best natural deodorant I’ve ever tried.

19. Kelly Moore on July 1st, 2012 6:40 pm

Arbonne just came out with a new Paraben, Aluminum free deodorant. I just ordered it, along with their new toothpaste and mouthwash! Full disclosure..I am a newer rep, and have used the Arbonne skin care for years. Excited to try these new products!

Earth Mama Special

Want Lovely SafeMama™ sent to your inbox?
Enter your email address: