DIY: Making Your Own Deodorant

Pin It!

My husband reluctantly switched his body products to greener products.  It was a slow process, but over the last two years, we’ve made progress.  If you have a boyfriend, or husband, you know how stubborn men can be.  My husband would sneak poisonous toothpaste on business trips, because he hated the “hippie stuff” I was using.

One of the last things to give up, on his list of products, was antiperspirant.   It took me forever to get him to stop using the toxic, aluminum laden axe or whatever he could find on sale.  “But I don’t want to pit ouuuuuuuuuuuuuut,” he would whine.  But I bought him a stick of Tom’s anyway, and he wasn’t impressed.  When my husband isn’t impressed, he takes to the internet.   He came up with an awesome recipe for making your own deodorant, and it’s really easy:

What you’ll need:

• A deodorant container (save your old one, and re-purpose it)
  • coconut oil (the solid kind)
  • baking soda
  • essential oil (whatever your favorite is, which is nice, you don’t have to smell like “fake baby butt”)
  • vitamin e oil
  • corn starch

To Mix:

1. Add the dry ingredients in a bowl first.  Mix equal parts corn starch and baking soda.
  2. Add equal parts coconut oil, mix thoroughly.
  3. Add a few drops of vitamin e and your essential oil.  You can add as much as you like, but I wouldn’t go overboard.  The mixture will be a bit more flaky if you use more oil.
  4. Knead the mixture with your fingers until it forms a ball like consistency, it should be hard enough to put into the deodorant container, but still malleable and not crumbly.  Put the cap on and let set overnight, and voilà!

Keep in mind that this is obviously a deodorant, not an antiperspirant.  You will still sweat using this stuff, but you won’t stink.  I’ve used this recipe on some pretty hot days, as well as during workouts and I haven’t smelled at all.   Needless to say, since making this deodorant, my husband has been a convert.

Posted by Permalink •
Categories: Deodorant, DIY Recipes

Comments

11 Responses to “DIY: Making Your Own Deodorant”

1. Alyson on June 10th, 2010 7:39 am

Awesome! Thanks for the recipe. I can’t get my hubby to switch to anything “green”. He calls it “hippie stuff” as well. I’ll keep trying though!

2. Amber on June 19th, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks so much for the recipe. I am so tempted to try it, but am also worried about the pitting ouuuuut! Maybe on days that I don’t leave the house :)

3. Statia on June 20th, 2010 9:15 pm

Once you get used to using a natural deodorant, yes, you will still sweat, but you’ll sweat less, because your body won’t have to work so hard to purge the toxins.

And you know, there’s always tank tops. No wet marks 😉

4. Amber on June 21st, 2010 4:50 pm

Ha! Tank tops are pretty much my entire wardrobe. :) I didn’t know that about the sweating less, Statia. That’s a great point. Thanks again!

5. lisa on July 4th, 2010 9:50 pm

This is the best ever! You are so right about perspiring less once you are not using the toxic products.

It is nice to have alternatives, I work in a beauty salon – we are turning totally “green” and this has been a saving grace for me. It is tough to shampoo someone’s hair with your arm pit right above their nose. Now it is less of a concern!

6. Christy on July 12th, 2010 9:03 am

I am just starting to try to eliminate all of the toxic stuff from my bathroom and I am confused about some of the ingredients in some of the store bought “natural” deodorants – most of them (including Tom’s of Maine) seem to have Polypropylene Glycol listed as the number one ingredient. Why is that? Isn’t that bad for you? Any information you could provide would be very helpful!

7. Kasee on August 13th, 2010 6:53 pm

Questions– what does ‘the solid kind’ refer to regarding cocnut oil? I have some for cooking (Extra virgin) and it is solid above a certain temperature, but liquid if hotter. Is this what you mean?
    ALso, regarding the baking soda, I assume you use organic as to avoid aluminum sources? Would arrowroot powder work just as well? The same for subbing Jojoba oil for vitamin E oil?
    Thanks for any help!

8. Sabrina on August 19th, 2010 1:16 pm

Does this melt when it get’s above 74 (or whatever the coconut Oil melts at) degrees?

9. aj on September 13th, 2010 12:22 am

I have just used coconut oil for deodorant and it has worked just fine if you want an easier solution try that and see if that works for you!

10. carolyn on September 29th, 2010 9:33 pm

Awesome! I’ve tried Tom’s, Pit Putty, Arm & Hammer, and another, I’m blanking on the name… all just the deoderant and haven’t found one yet to last me all day in the anti-stink department. I’m going to try your recipe! Yay, thanks!

11. Twanda Ustico on August 9th, 2012 2:38 am

Jojoba oil is really great for treating acne. It sort of unclogs the pores by dissolving hardened sebum. `*”,”

Hope This Helps! http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/earache-remedies/

Earth Mama Special

Want Lovely SafeMama™ sent to your inbox?
Enter your email address: