Part 3: What’s In LovelyMama’s Make Up Bag?

Pin It!

I don’t wear a ton of make up.  I know there are parts of the country where women tend to wear more make up than others (*cough* Long Island *cough* and I can say that because I grew up there) and I do wear some… enough to make myself acceptable for public consumption.  I do like my girlie must haves and here is whats banging around in my make up bag:

Foundation: I don’t wear a lot of it and I never really did.  But as I’m getting older I have rosacea and some flaws and I just need a light overall cover to make me happy.  I am using mineral foundation which I have recently read to be less than great due to breathing in particles.  But I loathe liquid foundation.  Hate it.  So I hold my breath and hope I don’t get some funky lung disease from it.  My favorite is Alima Pure Mineral Satin Matte foundation after switching from Bare Minerals when I learned that it contained Bismuth Oxychloride which can be an irritant to rosacea sufferers.

I also use SukiColor Liquid Formula Concealer in Flax (which I can’t find on their website right now) for spot treating under eye circles, zits or whatever weirdness shows up. Blends well and has a more respectable ingredients list than most commercial liquid make up.

Blush: I hide from the sun so much so that I need an extra boost (I wear hats and sunglasses all the time) so I use Alima Pure  Luminous Shimmer Blush in DianthusDr Hauschka makes a nice blush bronzer too but the cost difference is amazing.  $15 for Alima vs $30+ its an easy choice for me.

Eyes: NVEY Eco Organic Eye Shadow Palette in Palette 3.  I had a palette of this before which I had gotten as a gift and it lasted me forever.  So when I was digging the last of it out I decided it was a worthy investment.  It’s $60.  Yeah I know.  But it lasted me well over a year to a year and a half.  So I figure I’m spending that over a course of time on different ones anyway and this is organic.  So I splurge.  I also have a small Dr. Hauschka Eye Shadow Solo in Shimmering Ivory.  But I may try the 4 color palettes they have next time instead of the NVEY.  $44 vs $60 on that scale.

Eye Liner: I have a basic black eye liner from Sephora. Nothing green or safe about it.  I need to find a better one.

Mascara: I use Tarte Lash Hugger Eco-Friendly Natural Mascara.  Tarte uses better ingredients than most and avoids things like parabens, phthalates and mineral oils and is in a recycled tube.  It works great… can’t complain.  I tried out one of the “natural” brands at CVS and it was awful so I’ll stick with this.

Lips: My favorite topic!  I don’t wear lipstick.  It’s a pretty rare occasion if I do.  I am a lip balm kind of girl and when I get dressed to go out (haha) I am a fan of lip gloss.  Although since I started greening my make up I haven’t found too many lip glosses that do it for me. I have a million lip balms including: Badger Lip Balm in just abut every flavor but I love Tangerine and Lavender Orange, Bubble & Bee Lip Balm in both Coconut Lime and Rude Raspberry (which is Certified Organic now), a Burt’s Bees Radiance Lip Shimmer as well as a Burt’s Bees Super Shiny Lip Gloss in Sweet Pink, LuSa Organics lip balm (love) and an Earth Mama Angel Baby Lip Balm which I use at night.

Nails: I know we did a whole round up of safe nail polish but to be very honest – I hate almost all of them.  They don’t stay on and yes I used them while I was pregnant if at all but my vanity is at stake here so I ave been using Zoya Polishes for my mani pedis.  Zoya is Formaldehyde, Toluene and DBP Free so I feel somewhat better using them.

Anyone have any eye liner or lip gloss recommendations?  Hope you enjoyed the peek into my bathroom!

Posted by Permalink •
Categories: Alima Pure, Badger Balm, Blush, Bubble and Bee, Burts Bees, Concealer, Dr. Hauschka, Earth Mama Angel Baby, Eye Shadow, Foundation, Lip Balm, Lip Gloss, LuSa Organics, Mascara, Nvey Eco

Comments

15 Responses to “Part 3: What’s In LovelyMama’s Make Up Bag?”

1. Sarah on June 3rd, 2010 2:15 pm

Can’t thank you enough! Makeup is my one thing I hadn’t “de-chemicalized” yet…I’m on ordering that mascara and nail polish now!

2. Melisa on June 3rd, 2010 7:24 pm

Good call on the mascara, it’s the one thing I like to wear but which always irritates my eyes! Going to snag me some Tarte next time I am at Sephora!

3. Emily on June 4th, 2010 8:47 am

I am obsessed with the NVEY ECO eye shadows too, they’re great! I love how natural they feel and the fact that the line is organic doesn’t hurt one bit!!

4. Jaime on June 4th, 2010 9:44 am

I use all Origins skin care and make-up and really like it….I do use Clinique mascara though….can’t find anything else that keeps my lashes curled after applied. Does the Tarte mascara keep your lashes curled (if you use an eyelash curler)?

The Origins website has the following statements:
    Origins products are powered by nature and proven by science using:

Natural & Certified organic ingredients
    100% natural essential oils

And formulated without:
    Parabens
    Phthalates
    Propylene Glycol
    Mineral Oil
    PABA
    Petrolatum
    Paraffin
    DEA
    Animal Ingredients (except cruelty-free honey and beeswax)

5. Alyson on June 4th, 2010 1:21 pm

I wear Alima Pure’s foundation and as you stated, I just hold my breath while I’m putting it on. I guess I’ll have to find something different eventually. :(
    I am also on the look out for a good lip gloss!

6. Statia on June 6th, 2010 8:36 pm

Nvey also makes a good pressed powder type foundation. I hate foundation too, but the powder is starting to get on my nerves. Most of Nvey’s stuff is sold out right now, but I’m hoping to order some when I get the chance, I’ll report in.

7. Lisa on June 10th, 2010 7:44 am

Thanks for the lists! Its always nice to see what other people are actually using. A positive review is one thing, but use is a much more powerful statement.

It would be great if you would publish your husband’s list too! My husband has switched over to many safer products, but he is hesitant to give up his deodorant. I showed him your husband’s recipe and he agreed to try it. Thanks!

8. Shannon on June 16th, 2010 6:57 pm

Aside from the Bismuth Oxychloride complication for rosacea sufferers, is Bare Minerals basically OK?

9. Kathy on June 21st, 2010 8:58 am

@Shannon: As far as I can tell, yes. Unless you are concerned with the inhalation hazard factor… I still use mineral foundation and hold my breath and hope I am not giving myself some crazy lung problems haha (ugh)

10. Jasmine on July 20th, 2010 7:32 am

I really like Alima’s eyeliner.

11. Brooke on August 16th, 2010 1:14 am

THANK YOU so much for all of the cheat sheets and lists, your website has been incredibly helpful in my ongoing ‘crunchy’ transition, lol…As for makeup, I’m still new to this whole green thing but I’m a huge fan of primitive makeups lipglosses…shiny like vinyl, but not sticky. I’ve also used ultrapure cosmetics powders with decent success, a little cakey but I’m pretty convinced it was due to user error…Just ordered a number of eyeshadows from honeybee gardens, vibrant colors that seem fairly promising.
    Has anyone used Coastal Classic Creations powders? They boast the use of synthetic/filtered iron oxides vs. the natural mineral powders…still trying to figure that one out. It claims to be toxicant free though.

Now if I could just locate a liquid eyeliner that isn’t fatal…ugh!

12. allyson on September 18th, 2010 7:34 am

I have used the pencil Jane Iredale eyeliner for years – they also have a liquid.

13. A on November 14th, 2010 5:56 pm

I’ve been on the hunt for more natural eye liner myself:) I use the Physician’s Formula Organic wear 100% Natural Origin Eyeliner and so far I’m loving it! For me, it’s better than any drugstore/high end eyeliners I’ve tried so far:)

14. Jenny on February 21st, 2011 2:52 am

I just started de-chemicalizing my life and make up has been one of the hardest parts. For eyeliner I am using Bare Escentuals Big and Bright and it works pretty well. I know you mentioned bismuth oxychloride as a rosacea irritant, but for those who don’t have that issue, the BE liner shadows work well too. I don’t really use lip gloss so haven’t looked for it. I’m a lip balm girl myself. Foundation has been the hardest one for me to find. I don’t like the mess of the mineral powders and I am very fair so I am a hard shade to match.

15. rose on April 5th, 2011 1:28 am

I used to wear tinted moisturizer with some light makeup but after I learned about all these chemicals used in makeup, I now only use organic lipgloss and a bit of of mineral powder.

Earth Mama Special

Want Lovely SafeMama™ sent to your inbox?
Enter your email address: