Part 2: What’s in LovelyMama’s Body Care Stash?

Pin It!

I had no idea people would love to know what products I have as much as they did, so here’s what’s on my bathroom counter top and a few things from inside “The Drawer”:

Deodorant: I use a couple deodorants.  I have found that switching my deodorant from day to day lends to the effectiveness of natural deodorants. But they don’t all work for me so I rely on three to do the job. The first is Bubble & Bee Geranium Lime Pit Putty.  Love this one and when it runs out I’m going to get their Geranium Lime Pit Putty with Baking Soda.  I also use Soapwalla’s Cream Deodorant which I like to use on days when I take a more decadent shower… I don’t know why exactly but just go with it.  I also use Weleda’s Rose Deodorant Spray.  I use the Weleda mainly when I take a shower at night.  The alcohol seems like it should be a bacteria fighter so in my weird brain I think “ok this will keep the stinky away all night and then I can put on regular deodorant in the morning”. I have no idea if that is even true or remotely accurate but it makes sense in my brain. I’ve also been making friends with Miessence products (Ely Organics) and one I do like is the Miessence Deodorant.   If you prefer roll on deodorants this might be the one for you. If you are new to natural deodorants here’s a primer to get you started.

Face: Depending on the time of day I am using two face creams.  This is one area I struggle because as I mentioned, I have very sensitive skin, plus rosacea, plus aging, plus occasional breakouts.  So finding something gentle and effective is really hard for me.  For night I am trying out Yes to Cucumbers Facial Hydrating Lotion and it seems to do ok.  I also have a pack of Yes to Cucumbers Facial Towelettes which I thought would be good for quick sweat wipes or lazy nights to remove make up.  But they kind of burn a little so I think they’ll get tossed. For daytime, its Burts Bees Radiance Day Lotion with SPF 15. It contains phenoxyethanol though so I’m on the lookout for something better. When I last visited the dermotogolist they told me to use Aveeno and I did for a while until I saw what was in it.  I’m constantly trying to find a good replacement.  Have yet to find something I really love.  I’m open to your suggestions ladies.

Eyes: I haven’t used an eye cream much since I had to stop using my beloved Clinique eye cream which was my favorite thing on the planet. I have a small bottle of John Masters Organics Firming Eye Gel but I often forget to use it.

Body: This also depends on the shower.  Showers where I have time for a scrub allow me to skip lotions and potions.  I towel off and get dressed. Quick showers tend to leave me wanting a little extra moisture so I opt for body oils.  While I do like the occasional rub down with a lotion or body butter, oils don’t require any processing or chemical emulsifyers.  And if you find a great body oil it can double as perfume. Right now I use Soapwalla’s Luxurious Body Oil.  It’s light enough for day use and smells lovely.  I also have Burt’s Bees Vitamin E Bath & Body Oil which has a great citrus scent but it’s pretty heavy and greasy so I haven’t used it in a while.  Also making appearances on my counter is The Body Deli Coconut Body Souffle, Weleda Seabuckthorn Body Lotion, and Badger Balm Vanilla Coconut Body Balm (I use this primarily at night).

Hair: This is definitely one area where I need improvement.  It’s sad really. I do own several natural hair products but I shamefully admit that I use one or two NOT natural hair products.  I have one or two natural ones I do like.  One is John Masters Organics Sea Mist Sea Salt Spray.  I use this for curly hair days to give my curls that “fresh off the beach” wind look.  It works great.  The other is Giovanni Frizz Be Gone which is great for straight hair days.  It seals and protects my hair before being tortured by a flat iron.  My shame lies in my use of John Freida’s Fresh Curlz.  I also use Aveda’s Curl Cream which is like the best hair stuff ever for curly hair. See? Not perfect but trying.

Part 3: You get a peek into my make up bag!

Posted by Permalink •
Categories: Badger Balm, Bath Goodies, Body Balm, Body Cream, Body Lotion, Body Oil, Bubble and Bee, Burts Bees, John Masters Organics, Miessence Certified Organics, Weleda, Yes to Carrots!

Comments

20 Responses to “Part 2: What’s in LovelyMama’s Body Care Stash?”

1. Katherine on June 1st, 2010 12:49 pm

For face: I HIGHLY recommend Green Beaver’s green tea face moisturizer….100% natural and somehow manages to be both light and very moisturizing.

2. em on June 1st, 2010 6:28 pm

Do you find that the Burt,s Bees SPF gets kinda…cakey? (Not sure what the right word would be.) I like it but it doesn’t seem to rub in real well. I actually was on here last night looking at your other SPF moisturizer suggestions because the Burt’s just doesn’t seem to get along with my face!

3. Cindy on June 1st, 2010 6:36 pm

For something for your face with SPF, I’d recommend Marie Veronique’s tinted SPF 30 moisturizer (now called “Face Screen”). I find it successfully doubles (since it’s tinted) as foundation. It’s pricey, but the bottle last quite a while. I believe you’ll like the ingredient list. My skin has been really dry as of late, so I put moisturizer (shea butter) on under the ‘face screen’.

4. camala on June 1st, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi how are you doing love your Web site. Is jojoba a good oil to used and i have African American combination facial skin and what is the best natural face product for my skin type.also for the winter time too

5. claire on June 1st, 2010 11:02 pm

Organic Cucumber & Watercress Daily Face Moisturizer is a great face moisturizer! The nighttime is too creamy for my complexion and I break out, but the cucumber daily is the best (and I tried a LOT, including the Burt’s Bees pomegranate age-defying line which I really liked before I switched to organic). The little pot lasts FOREVER, and I don’t skimp during application. :)

6. Kathy on June 2nd, 2010 7:39 am

I don’t find the Radiance face cream cakey at all, but the regular sunscreen is kind of cakey. The Radiance cream absorbs pretty well… I like it, but I don’t love the ingredients.

7. Tara on June 2nd, 2010 8:18 am

Try Derma-E for facial moisturizer. I have used both Derma E, DMAE Alpha-Lipoic-C-Ester Retexturizing Creme and Derma E, Ester-C Creme with E. Both work great and do not break out my 39-year old, rosacea-prone skin. I get them at iherb.com (use TAR215 promo code to save $5). Also, I take evening primrose oil morning and bedtime and I swear this has been what has helped the most to keep my rosacea under control! You have to try it for 3 months and then see what your face looks like! Trust me.

8. Alyson on June 2nd, 2010 8:34 am

I LOVE John Masters Organics Sea Mist Sea Salt Spray! It works great!!!!

9. Tiffany on June 2nd, 2010 9:48 am

I’m going to check out the Bubble & Bee deodorant, thanks for sharing!

10. Melisa on June 2nd, 2010 10:37 am

For hair I just stumbled on a company called kinky-curly, which was being sold at my local Whole Foods. I too have curly hair and spend a lot of time leaving it natural and torturing it with a flat iron and so getting better products for my hair has been hard!

11. Melisa on June 2nd, 2010 10:39 am

Also, Bubble and bee has a facial moisturizer, have you tried that??

12. Sandi on June 2nd, 2010 8:21 pm

I know you’re not a fan of 100% Pure (I’m not crazy about their attitude right now either), but I love their coffee eye cream and it doesn’t have Japanese Honeysuckle in it.

13. Lexi on June 3rd, 2010 8:44 am

I just found this online. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet. http://www.frizzoff.com/Ingredients.aspx#conditioner Ingredients are far from perfect, but it’s better then some, I think.

I struggle with suitable shampoos/conditioners that are good for curly hair. I tried the Bubble and Bee Shampoo and I really liked it, but I have hard water and the extra work to get the shampoo to perform in hard water was too time-consuming for me (read: I was lazy) If I ever get soft water, I will be back to B&B without a question.

I currently use Rocky Mountain Soap Co. face lotion and while I love how it works, they use Japanese Honeysuckle Extract (which I didn’t realize was an issue until after purchase). Not happy with that. My other favorite is their Foot Butter which has GSE. Very disappointed to have to replace these two items. :(

14. Kathy on June 3rd, 2010 2:28 pm

Not yet have you? I’m curious about it!

15. Kathy on June 3rd, 2010 7:32 pm

@Lexi: I checked those two products online and I don’t see GSE or Japanese Honeysuckle listed on either – is it possible they reformulated since you purchased?

16. All settled! « SOAPWALLA KITCHEN on June 4th, 2010 8:14 am

[…] A HUGE thank you to Mindful Momma, Lovely SafeMama, and Whim and Folly for your glowing reviews of Soapwalla’s […]

17. Jaime on June 4th, 2010 9:50 am

I recently decided to try the “Design a Spray” option from Bubble and Bee – I had tried tons of natural deoderants and all the versions of Pit Putty and wasn’t all that crazy about the Lime smell or the Clove smell – a little too strong for me. I picked raspberry, vanilla, and baking soda for the spray ingredients and I LOVE it – just ordered my second bottle of it. The scent is light and a little fruity and it has really worked for me. It’s so easy to apply too – you spray it on and then don’t know it’s even there.

18. Rachel on June 14th, 2010 11:07 am

I just purchased some products from 100% pure. I haven’t used them yet, but was HIGHLY disappointed by their packaging – styrofoam peanuts. Seriously, even if I do like their products, I am not going to order from them again unless they change their packaging.

19. Kathy on June 14th, 2010 1:09 pm

@Rachel: Last time (and that will be the last time) I ordered the peanuts were made of cornstarch but perhaps they changed that since then? Not sure. :\

20. Lisa on November 25th, 2010 6:15 am

Oh, thanks for the wonderful list.I love to see what other people use.You’ve inspired me to try to post a similar list on my blog.
    I wanted to ask you how is the Yes to Cucumbers Facial Hydrating Lotion?It it any good?

Earth Mama Special

Want Lovely SafeMama™ sent to your inbox?
Enter your email address: