LovelyMama Is Disappointed In 100% Pure

Pin It!

Normally, it’s not my style to post something negative about a green company.   But sadly, after today’s drama surrounding 100% Pure and their unprofessional-ism in answering direct questions and being rude to people asking them a simple question on facebook (it appears 100% Pure has removed their fan page), I will no longer stand behind 100% Pure, which sadly was one of my favorite brands.

You can read the whole exchange over at Stephanie’s, Chemical of the Day blog.  I’ll wait.

I’ll preface this by first saying, that while we’re fans of Stephanie’s products and appreciate her knowledge, we’re not taking sides with Stephanie.  We really liked most of  100% Pure’s products.  So when it came to light, the information regarding Japanese Honeysuckle extract containing para-hydroxy benzoic acid, we were a kind of bummed, because it’s in quite a few brands, including some of the products 100% Pure sells.   Granted, it wasn’t all, which made me happy that I still had options, but the way they’ve handled the whole situation is very sucker in the dirt.  Instead of answering the question asked, point blank, does your Japanese Honeysuckle contain para-hydroxy benzoic acid, a simple yes or no question, they instead decided to skirt this issue with accusatory responses, telling people that they have no idea what they’re talking about, and telling people “We DO the research ourselves. in a LAB.”  As if capitalizing words makes it more important and somehow drowns out the fact that they have not answered the question, and on top of that, have turned blame around on the commenters who were simply stating that they hadn’t answered the question, and “reading things on the internet doesn’t make you a scientist.”

Look, I get that anyone can read things on the internet and be an “expert.”  There’s a lot of false information out there, but I trust Stephanie’s research isn’t limited to sitting around reading wikipedia just so that she can “defame” brands.

I’m not going to get into the whole arguement about para-hydroxy benzoic acid.  It seems to be two sided on 100% Pure’s part.  All I know is that the manner in which they handled the whole issue dissapoints me.  Either they need to get a less angry PR rep, who actually has some knowledge of what she’s talking about, or answer the question as it was asked.   Until then, I will no longer purchase or recommend their products to people.

This is another reason why we encourage people to do their own research and make decisions about what works for them.

Posted by Permalink •
Categories: 100% Pure

Comments

8 Responses to “LovelyMama Is Disappointed In 100% Pure”

1. Melisa on April 24th, 2010 10:39 am

I have to agree, the whole exchange was uncalled for when all anyone wanted as a straight answer. I agree with your decision to not recommend them or their products going forward.

2. Jamie on April 24th, 2010 2:52 pm

Thank you. I really have been disappointed at the way this has played out since 100% Pure has been on my list of companies to try. I also trust Stephanie and believe that her motive was to inform. 100% Pure turned this issue into something ugly when they could have just answered the questions being asked.

3. M Rochell on April 24th, 2010 3:16 pm

Thank you for sharing this. I’m always so saddened and disappointed when companies that claim to offer pure and clean products cannot use that same integrity in their interactions with others. I have had some experience with this in the past as well, and I am thankful that you are sharing your experience here so we can make our own decisions about which products we want to use and support.

4. Stancie @ Fig+Sage on April 25th, 2010 9:01 am

I’ve had a similar “ugly” interaction with a company who claims they have the utmost integrity and one that used to be my favorite. My interaction with them turned sour when I noticed some discrepancies and asked some simple questions. Everything got out of hand and they in turn became highly defensive and also started typing in caps (basically yelling in email form). My opinion is that truly legit companies aren’t going to get defensive and start yelling at their consumers or anyone who genuinely desires a straight answer. There are many other companies out there that deserve our money and who take the time to listen, understand and answer legitimate question, respectfully and politely. Sadly, 100% doesn’t appear to be one of those companies.

5. Kathy on April 25th, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks Stancie! I think I know what other company you are referring to and it really does sadden me when these companies get so defensive when people inquire about their ingredients or processes. On the other hand I have had some great interactions with companies when I’ve asked really pointed questions. Honesty goes a long way and I hope 100% Pure will turn this situation around.

6. Kimberly on July 10th, 2010 1:39 pm

I will not purchase any product if it’s not featured on the http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

I emailed 100% pure to find out if they were going to submit their products to the website. I never heard from them. Which shows me that they were afraid of their ratings probably being too high.

It’s all about educating yourself. Do what works for you.

7. Kate on June 23rd, 2011 2:04 pm

Thank you so much for all the information you post. I try to research any product that I am thinking of using and was almost ready to order 100% Pure when I happened upon this last post, from over a year ago! It would be helpful to note this last post anywhere that they were previously reviewed or recommended. I found it by accident, and I am glad I did!

8. Danika @ Your Organic Life on March 18th, 2012 1:11 pm

I have a friend who is a biological chemist. She decided to test their products since they don’s use preservatives, not even natural ones. Each of them tested positive for STAPH! NO WAY I would use their products!

All products with water MUST be preserved to be safe. There are plenty of safe, all natural ways to preserve products.

Earth Mama Special

Want Lovely SafeMama™ sent to your inbox?
Enter your email address: