I don’t know about you, but with this winter being particularly harsh and full of snow snow and more snow, I do miss a good hearty soup.   Because cans are lined with BPA, soup has been ousted from our house, that is until now.  My husband went grocery shopping last night and brought home some Dr. McDougall’s ready to serve soup, in cartons.   He noticed that they were in BPA free containers, which is why he picked them up (my husband, he is catching on.  Smart man, that one).   Most of the soups that come freeze dried in the cups, I don’t know if you’ve tried them, but yuck.  They lack in flavor, and are just not the same.   Of course, you could just make up a large batch of your favorite soup and freeze it, but if you’re pressed for time, or you don’t feel like making every single type of soup in existence to keep on hand, this is a really good alternative, and the taste, according to him, is pretty good.

On top of the containers being BPA free, the soup is All Natural, unlike the preservative laden canned counter parts, and the containers are a nice size.   You could easily get 2-3 bowls of soup out of one container.    I’m glad that he spotted it when he did, because it looks as if winter is going to be here forever, and I am freezing!  Good Job, Mr. SafeMama!

Get it: You may be able to find the new cartons in your local grocery store , or you can order it by the case directly from their website. (tip:  ask a friend if they want to split the cost with you so that you don’t have too much, and it’ll cut your cost as well).

Posted by: Statia on February 25, 2010

Comments

8 Responses to “Ready to Serve Soup in BPA free containers”

1. Rachael on February 25th, 2010 9:50 pm

Trader Joe’s also sells a few soups in aseptic containers that are BPA-free, my kids like Chicken Noodle.

2. Holly on February 26th, 2010 2:19 pm

I’m confused. I thought I was avoiding BPA by avoiding canned soup. Do the soup “boxes” also contain BPA unless stated otherwise???

3. Leona on February 26th, 2010 5:10 pm

Are the soups that are in tetra packs bpa-free?

4. electriclady on February 26th, 2010 9:06 pm

Our local grocery also carries Pacific (all or mostly organic) and Imagine brands of soup in the aseptic packaging. There may be some less-than-natural ingredients in some of them (I can never keep track of all the things MSG is disguised as) but they are pretty good–I lived on soup the week after I got braces so I tried lots of them.

5. Tiffany on March 1st, 2010 4:33 am

Pacific Foods and Imagine Foods also have several soup and broth choices in TetraPaks.

6. Victoria on March 2nd, 2010 10:15 pm

I’d be thrilled if more companies stopped using cans with BPA and opted for these safer containers. Great find!

7. Kathy on March 2nd, 2010 10:48 pm

Holly – You are avoiding it by avoiding canned soups but the soups that are available are somewhat limited. We were just pointing out a brand that also carries Tetra pack packaged soups.

8. Kathy on March 2nd, 2010 10:52 pm

Leona, it is my understanding that that is the case. :)