A new study was conducted by the University of Cincinnati recently that found Bisphenol-A (BPA) can leech into liquids when boiling water was added to polycarbonate containers. The products age having an impact over the levels of BPA was one of the primary concerns, but this new study revealed it’s the liquids temperature that has the effect. It was on ABC News on wednesday and I was tipped off by a reader of the report. (Thank you!) You can see the news report here (it’s a quick segment) for a further explanation of their findings.
It’s great that this is getting more attention in the media but more importantly, more studies are being conducted to confirm what others were worried about. My policy is “better safe than sorry” in the case of BPA so the same rules still apply with regard to plastics:
- Don’t microwave foods or liquids in plastic bottles or containers
- Replace worn and/or scratched plastic or switch to glass alternatives
- Avoid plastic with the recycle numbers #3, #6 and #7 when possible
Study Source: Science Daily