I have no idea where I heard this originally but a friend of mine (Hi, Mariana!) picked up a set of cups and plates for me at her local IKEA. The product line is an IKEA exclusive designed by Monika Mulder and they carry rainbow sets of kids cups, plates, bowls and eating utensils. The dishware is made of polypropylene (a #5 on the recycling scale) and are dishwasher safe. Polypropylene is a Bisphenol-A and PVC  free plastic. They are light weight and the perfect size for little hands. My 2 year old loves the little cups and since I’m trying my hardest to teach him to use a regular non-sippy cup without turning it into a launching device for milk and water… it makes using it easy for his tiny grip.

They come in packs of 6 and cost a measly $1.99 per pack. I don’t have access to an IKEA nearby but I might have to make a pilgrimage to one to get the bowls too. They are not, unfortunately available online so you have to hike out to the store to find them.

Get Them: Pick them up at your local IKEA Store!

Posted by: SafeMama Kathy on January 19, 2008

Comments

14 Responses to “IKEA Kids rainbow cups & utensils BPA Free”

1. Statia on January 19th, 2008 2:33 am

I totally saw these while I was there last weekend. Had I known, I would have picked some up. I try to limit my time spent in Ikea, because seriously, it’s like my own little private press board hell.

2. Noel on January 19th, 2008 4:21 pm

I could blow a week’s salary in IKEA. Everything they have is so great and the kids stuff is so cute. We have these cups and the bug loves them. We also will put a little food in them and give him a spoon and let him self-feed. He’s proud of himself, no mess for me to clean up. We also use them in the bathtub, he can fill them up and dump them out to his heart’s content.

3. Kristen on January 22nd, 2008 3:55 pm

this is great info. I had been wondering about these! thanks!

4. Playground Confidential » Plastic is the New Lead: Be warned on February 28th, 2008 5:33 am

[...] The Gerber sippy cup Colum has worn to shreds and the Ikea bowls and tumblers we have are a safer plastic, but the word is still out on the dinner plate he’s been using. Link here to find out if your [...]

5. Jenn on April 24th, 2008 3:10 am

Thank you very much. I was just researching this and I am so glad to find out that they are safe to use. I also find your website very useful and am so happy you have taken the time to help other parents

6. Dominique on April 24th, 2008 4:51 am

Great to know that the Ikea cups and bowl’s are BPA free..have been using the colour bowls for the kids since last year.

7. Kassie on April 30th, 2008 2:24 pm

I love these cups and bowls. They’re very affordable so if some get lost it doesn’t matter too much.

8. Erika on May 1st, 2008 1:21 am

Yeah! I live near an Ikea. I’ve been serving my baby food from little glass pyrex dishes to avoid the chemicals and we’ve broken a few (oops). Thanks for the research and I too love your site.

9. might i add... ? on May 2nd, 2008 2:35 am

Thanks so much for this info. I’ve been wondering about these, too. Love Ikea and their stuff, as does Baby, especially the spoons and bowls. I appreciate all the work you’re doing here.

10. Sarah on May 2nd, 2008 4:36 pm

I think everyone should double check their IKEA plastics. I have cups and bowls with the #5 recycling sign on them which I was very relieved to see. But my children’s IKEA cutlery and small rectangle plates have a symbol like a clock, and the arrow points to the #7. This makes me suspicious that they’re not BPA free.

I also have some plastic plates (from their summer line) with no symbol. I think I’ll have to email them directly. This is stressful!

11. Anne on May 3rd, 2008 7:13 pm

I belive the number arrow combination is when the item was manfactured. I also belive that the recycling symbol has to be accurate since this is used to determine how to sort items when they are being tossed (in my city the reycling program takes items with the symbol).

12. John on May 4th, 2008 3:25 am

Hi, just saw your comment on the Ikea cups here – I just picked up a set! Was the name on the bag “KALAS”? If so, it’s odd – the recycle symbol on my package is a 4, and says “PE-LD”. That makes it low density polyethylene, not polypropylene. I have no idea on the ramifications of that with regards to its BPA free’ness or not.

Here’s a link to the recycle symbols if anyone cares to look:

13. John on May 4th, 2008 3:34 am

Oh yeah – the Ikea website noted does state that they’re polypropylene. Possibly because I’m in Canada? No idea now. :)

14. John on May 5th, 2008 5:53 pm

Aha! Got it figured (and I’ll need to wipe a little egg off my face here too).

The cups themselves – are “5” PP.
    The PACKAGE they came in was a “4” PE LD.